Click for Tartu, Estonia Forecast

teisipäev, august 03, 2004

 

Our Fridge Broke

Well, I had planned to write about Joshua 1:9 and all that. But now I'm side-tracked.

We've been hearing a dripping noise coming from the kitchen all evening, and not been able to figure out the source of it. While I was nursing the baby (again!), I asked God to help us discover the source of this dripping, because it really had me worried that there would be a flood from a broken pipe or something when we got up in the morning.

We have a little Russian refrigerator that has the freezer inside on top, not in its own separate compartment. The water from the melting freezer was dripping into the fridge (as it's meant to do) and then into a little pan under the fridge (as it's meant to do). When I opened the freezer, I saw that my concerns about how to defrost it had been solved! No ice at all. Uh-oh. I feel the fridge; it's not cold. I get Tim, he pulls it out (an event in itself, the linoleum under it is quite ripped and warped), plugs it into another outlet, looks around with a flashlight.... Yep, he says, it's not working.

Handyman that he is, he goes back to watching "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" with Chris, the DVD being a gift from Auntie who just left. (To be honest, I told him he might as well finish the movie since there's nothing we can do right now. And he is holding Peter so I can type this.)

The ironic thing is, I gave the fridge a really thorough cleaning for the first time today. So somehow, which I cannot for the life of me imagine, I broke the fridge by cleaning it. While I was cleaning it, Tim was out buying groceries. Fortunately, he didn't get many perishable things -- since we have such a small fridge.

We had ice-cream for dessert and I noticed how soft it was. Tim said it was just because I had the fridge door open when I was cleaning it. But nope, it was broken.

"Be strong and courageous" when your fridge stops working for no apparent reason? Yep. The whole time I was cleaning it, I was trying not to think of the big wonderful fridge we had in Pennsylvania.

Before Elizabeth went to sleep, she said she was afraid that something bad was going to happen. I hope this was it.

Pray for us, friends. If we don't let little things like this drive us crazy, we'll be fine.

"The Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." My mother gave me a suncatcher with these words on it, and I hung it in a window today.

In Chester, "do not be terrified" would have been the words with the most meaning for me. Here, perhaps it will be "do not be discouraged"! A command, not a suggestion!

At the end of our commissiong, we sang, "Be strong and courageous." Some of our sessionmates were disappointed that it was a change from the traditonal "I'll go in the strength of the Lord." But it was really the Word we needed then, and continue to need now.

At least we finished off the ice-cream!

Kapten Evelyn Clark

Comments: Postita kommentaar

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

ThinkExist.com Quotes