Click for Tartu, Estonia Forecast

esmaspäev, september 20, 2004

 

Hair

I've already told this story to my sister and my parents, but I might as well share it with everyone else! It's another one of those tiny, everyday things that seem like major victories.

I got a hair cut! We intentionally had shorter than usual cuts before we left the US so that we could wait after we arrived here if we needed. My hair doesn't grow too fast, so I usually go for a cut around once a month, but this was more than two months, so I was beginning to look a bit shaggy! We kept trying to connect with some of the other missionaries here to go with us so I would be sure I could communicate to the barber what I wanted, but it never worked out. So today Chris and I headed out hoping for the best.

We went to a barber shop on town hall square, where many tourists tend to be, hoping it might improve our chance of finding someone who would speak English. When it was my turn, I asked the lady if she spoke English, and she said "Ei" (no), but with a big smile directed me into her chair, assuring me (as best I could guess) in Estonian that it would be no problem. She pointed to my hair in different places indicating what I might want done and asking questions in Estonian with words I don't know yet. I pointed to my hair indicating what I wanted and using the few Estonian words I know that were relevant to the situation. She took a long time cutting, I think because in general Estonians are much more careful with foreigners, although she seemed very comfortable with my lack of language skill. I was especially happy that at one point, I was even able to let her know that I wanted it shorter in the back than she had done (even in the States, I would sometimes just leave it rather than bug the barber!). In the end I had a cut that was better than I often get in the US, and it only cost me 50 krooni (just under $4.00). I was sure to tell the woman who cut my hair, "Väga hea" (very good!). Chris was happy with the person he had because she spoke enough English that he could tell her what he wanted, (plus, his is basically a long buzz cut anyway).

We head to Tallinn tomorrow to pick up Mario, the Estonian cadet who will be working with us. We will bring him back on Wednesday, and our adventure will begin. We are really excited about his coming to be with us. Please pray for him that he will adjust well to living outside of Tallinn, will adapt to the schedule of weekly trips to Helsinki, and will be open to what God may be telling him to do in Tartu.
--Tim

Comments: Postita kommentaar

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

ThinkExist.com Quotes