Click for Tartu, Estonia Forecast

esmaspäev, september 06, 2004

 

Labor Day

Well, we actually missed blogging one day, and were surprised we didn't hear one word of complaint! We expected to be flooded with e-mails from blog junkies who couldn't bear to go a whole day without reading about our exploits! ;-)

Actually, I did try to blog, but blogspot must have been having technical difficulties or something. Anyway, I'm back tonight! Hope you missed me (us)!

Maybe it was good that I didn't blog last night, because I was really upset about something. But I was still able to write out my thoughts, in a private e-mail to my homeschooling La Leche League friend Pauline. I am so grateful for e-mail (and Instant Messaging!) -- it's so great to be able to continue friendships with people even after moving halfway around the world.

Well, today was Labor Day holiday for you folks in America. For us in Estonia, it was another workday. For the Clark family in particular, another day of taking care of the apartment (moving out a no-longer-needed bed) and the house (assorted cleaning and unpacking, including buying a computer desk so we can finally set up our personal home computer!).

Today was officially Elizabeth's first day of homeschooling. For some reason, the link didn't seem to work before, but the web site is www.sonlight.com -- it's our first year using a curriculum and so far it's been fun.

Anniversaries are always a big thing with me, and all day long I was mindful of the fact that it was exactly two months ago today that we arrived at the airport in Tallinn.

The day after tomorrow is Tim's 40th birthday. So often in the Bible, you read about things that lasted 40 days (the rain when Noah was on the ark, Jesus fasting in the desert) or 40 years. Some people think that the number 40 is sort of like saying "umpteen" and it just means "a lot" of days or years or whatever. But whether literal or approximate, 40 years is a long time. In my hometown newspaper, you often see personal ads that say, "Lordy, Lordy, Look Who's Forty!" with a baby or childhood picture to embarrass the person turning 40. I'm afraid I don't have anythink like that to show you, but I would love to hear any story "pictures" that you might have to tell on him.

In America, today is the official end of the summer season. Here, we are already seeing winter coats in stores and people beginning to bundle up. The weather is a lot like Maine, so it did start to get a bit cool as August ended, particularly at night. But the kids, especially Elizabeth, are still enjoying our big backyard here -- playing in the sandbox and picking apples from our apple trees!

Evelyn

Comments: Postita kommentaar

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

ThinkExist.com Quotes