Click for Tartu, Estonia Forecast

teisipäev, september 14, 2004

 

Viewing Things Differently

I've heard that if you lose one of your senses, your others tend to become sharper to compensate. I feel like I am experiencing that type of thing lately when it comes to language (I know Evelyn keeps touching on this theme, but now it's my turn).

Today was a perfect example. I had to take the van to the shop to fix a broken dashboard light and tail light so it could pass inspection. I had been to this garage with an Estonian-speaking friend last week and thought the mechanic understood what was needed, so when I brought it in this morning, I felt confident. But when I went back to pick it up, he showed me the work he had done and when I pointed out that he had not fixed the dash light, he seemed surprised that was needed. I had to wait a few more hours before I had the van back, but eventually I had the work done that was needed.

While the van was being fixed, I also had to go to the insurance office to get new insurance for the van. I had also been here last week with my friend, but now I was on my own with an Estonian speaker and had to answer her questions and fill out the proper papers. It took a while, but I left with the insurance I needed.

I didn't feel especially frustrated with these experiences, but more triumphant that, at the end of the day, I had accomplished what I had set out to do. It seems like the simplest things here take so much longer to do, often because of my limited Estonian. But I'm finding that I can still do what needs to be done through gesture, looking at the context of the situation, by pulling out the one or two words I do understand from a flood of those I don't and still understanding and being understood. These have become my compensation techniques, and although I'm sure they cause plenty of entertainment for those I am dealing with, they give me a great sense of victory in the littlest things, like getting a light bulb changed or ordering form the meat counter at the store.

It's a new way of thinking for me, because I have always relied on words so heavily. I love language and crafting just the right phrase, but now that I can only speak like a two-year-old, it's helping me to view things differently and approach things in new ways. It's suddenly dawning on me that this may be the very thing I need as we begin to start the corps here. I can't rely on what I think I know, but need to look at things in new ways, and maybe even try something unfamiliar or unusual if that is what will make things work. This is still kind of brewing in my brain, but I have a feeling this is the bigger lesson for me. I find that exciting.
--Tim

Comments: Postita kommentaar

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

ThinkExist.com Quotes