Click for Tartu, Estonia Forecast

esmaspäev, oktoober 18, 2004

 

Blast from the Past

I came across some e-mails I sent to my sister a few days after we arrived here. Interesting to look back at where we were at three and a half months ago....

9 July 2004

It's going fine. Chris and Elizabeth slept all through the night, but Peter sure didn't!One of our missionary friends came yesterday when the Tallinn gang was still with us. She came again this afternoon with her husband and toddler, and brought soup and salad and some kitchen stuff we will need until our shipment comes. Our landlady came this morning with her grown son and brought some eggs.I feel like a complete moron when I can't even talk to my neighbors, but a little bit of humility is good for me and it sure is big incentive to learn the language!!

The new Regional Commanders (there's been an upgrade from the Regional Officer designation) are really wonderful people. She called this afternoon to check on us.We are still very much in survival mode, figuring out where to buy things and how to use the washing machine (Tim says it's just like yours in Moldova) and things like that.

Chris is having a bit of a hard time. I'm not sure what he was expecting, but he thinks the outside of our building and the hallway and the neighborhood don't look nice. I think he is out of his mind, because it is all totally awesome! We are completely spoiled!! The apt. is like two or three times bigger than I had pictured it, really a very nice size for our family.I'm not sure what else to tell you. We're well and happy.


10 July 2004

We have met 3 neighbors in our building so far, and they are all old ladies! Home League was one of the things I really hated the most in Chester, but after seeing these old ladies I wonder if it will be one of the first things we start here.We are still very much in survival mode (sleeping, eating, bathing) and haven't had a chance to really explore the city yet, just intown.We saw an old woman last night drinking beer from a bottle. Dressed like a babushka. Really broke our hearts.We had a nice meal at a restaurant here last night -- Chris really wanted to do something to celebrate.

We're fine with the washing machine. There is an instruction book that includes English. It's just that whatever we do, we have to stop and think about it, instead of doing it automatically.Chris was saying on the walk here just now how much he really likes Tartu. Hopefully we will be able to go to church tomorrow and meet some kids his age.Our sleep is all messed up really bad. Peter was crying and SCREAMING in the middle of the night last night. I don't know if it's his teething bothering him or what.

I put up some Estonian SA red shields in our windows and on our front door this afternoon. Can't wait till we can get business cards and everything.

Comments: Postita kommentaar

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

ThinkExist.com Quotes