Click for Tartu, Estonia Forecast

neljapäev, november 18, 2004

 

Slipping and Sliding

Like Evelyn said yesterday, we have snow! Many of the folks who live here have said that they are surprised that it has started this late in the year, so I guess we were lucky for our first winter in Estonia. It's not like we have a ton, only around two inches, but it has fallen lightly over the last two days--steady flurries that fill the air with white and stick to every branch of the trees so that everywhere looks like a postcard. I'm told this is how it usually snows here, slow and steady.

The snow got me into action for preparing for winter. The biggest thing was getting studded snow tires on the van, which are going to be worth more than I can say. The past few times we have been traveling and been on icy roads, we have seen dozens of cars that skidded off the road, and I felt the van slipping on many occasions. Since I don't like ditches too much, I thought I'd better get those tires before I regret it. I also picked up basic survival supplies to keep in the van, like jumper cables, a tow rope (okay, I'm a realist that I still may end up in that ditch), a flashlight, a little shovel and things like that. We expect to travel quite a bit this winter, so I figured it's better to be prepared.

This weekend is youth councils at Loksa camp. Chris and I will be the Tartu delegation. He is really excited about seeing his friends from the other corps. I will do a session on the choices we make in the media we expose ourselves to (music, tv, movies, etc.), which should be fun. The Army has some good kids here in Estonia, and I look forward to spending the weekend with them. I'll be sure to give you the update when I get back.
--Tim

Comments: Postita kommentaar

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

ThinkExist.com Quotes