Click for Tartu, Estonia Forecast

kolmapäev, detsember 29, 2004

 

Estonians

I think part of the reason I feel so at home in Estonia is that Estonians are so much like people in New England, where I grew up until I was 16.

Before we came here, I read how Estonians tend to be private people, needing their space and keeping pretty much to themselves. They are not easy to get to know, but once you do get to know them, you will have deep and meaningful friendships. That is so much a picture of people from the northeastern Unites States, and it is accurate of the Estonians I have come to know as well. Fortunately, I have these same tendencies, so I feel like I am among family!

Here's two images from the past few days: Yesterday in Tallinn, we were sitting in the car and I noticed a line of around 10 or 12 people waiting for the bus. The line was perfectly straight, but each person had a good 3 feet of space between him and the next person. God forbid you should get too close and make personal contact! It was a sight that brought a smile to my face! I even pointed it out to our friend and faithful blog reader Kristi, who didn't seem at all surprised by the the sight.

Then today, we were at the grocery store near our house, Citymarket. Coca-Cola is having a holiday promotion here, giving away stuffed elves when you have saved a certain number of bottle caps. A crowd of around 50 or more people were gathered at the front of the store near the check outs, lined up at the table, waiting for their turn. In America, a crowd this size would be loud, chatty and very obvious. This crowd, however, made no noise whatsoever! Everyone waited patiently and quietly until it was their turn. It was typical Estonian, and reminded me again of how much I love the people here.

Of course, I am generalizing Estonian people. The people I know here are all unique and not stereotypes, but overall I still feel like I am with family here. God knew what He was doing when he brought us to Estonia.
--Tim

Today we prayed for my mother, Major Hilda Clark (R). "Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty." Psalm 91:1

Comments: Postita kommentaar

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

ThinkExist.com Quotes