Click for Tartu, Estonia Forecast

kolmapäev, jaanuar 05, 2005

 

Getting Ready

It's been a busy few days, so I haven't had much of a chance to blog when I was supposed to. Tomorrow we head up to Tallinn, and on Friday at 11:25 we will fly back to America. We have been making all of the final preparations: washing clothes, deciding what to bring, making arrangements to be sure things are covered while we are away. Plus, the owners of the house will be staying here for two of the weeks we are away (they are in the area and we figured since the house is empty, why not) so we are trying to set our stuff aside enough that they feel comfortable in their own home. So we have been busy, but I keep telling myself that no matter what gets done or doesn't, everything will work out okay.

Besides our preparations, I was involved in the training for the Finland & Estonia youth mission team, which is a group of young people from the territory who will do evangelism and outreach. Chris is a part of the team and we timed our trip around the monthly training sessions! It was interesting because we had four languages going (Estonian, Russian, Finnish and English), and things sounded especially cool when we were singing. What was wonderful was that despite the language differences and cultural differences (which are more dramatic), the kids blended together and worked hard to help one another.

On the trip back, I took a route I have taken only once before, which brings me on more remote roads but which is far more direct. It had snowed earlier, so the roads were white with packed-down snow as I drove kilometer after kilometer past pine trees and, eventually, widely scattered farm houses. On one stretch, I drive for 30 minutes and had only two cars that whole time pass me going the other direction. It was very remote and lonely. I was grateful for the studded snow tires on the van, because if I had gone off the road I probably wouldn't have been found for a week! But I enjoyed the drive and taking in the natural beauty of the moon glistening on the snow and the vastness of the land. I even saw a moose!

Today I took Karl-Gustav to see his mother one last time before we leave. This time we also took my translator, Kerli, and a social worker from the city of Tartu, because his mother is getting better and we were meeting with the hospital staff to talk about what is next for her. She would like to return to Tartu and be with her son (naturally) but this seems unlikely because she still has health concerns that need attention. They are trying to find the best place to offer her the care she needs, but it was clear that the social worker and staff have her best interest in mind. It turned out to be an opportunity to build relationships with the hooldekodu (nursing home) that may lead the Army to offer broader assistance in the future. It is the perfect type of place to do League of Mercy.

This visit and the mission team training were the perfect send off before we leave, reminding me of the work that lies ahead when we return and assuring me that even in our absence, God will be working out His plan!
--Tim

Tomorrow we will pray for my brother Tom and his wife Vicki. In Tom's own words:
I will be available all month as I will complete my work with Abbott Labs on 30 Dec 04. Our Christmas news is my acceptance of the call to be Senior Pastor ofthe Dennis, MA Church of the Nazarene. We will be moving to the Cape in late Jan. or early Feb. I am very excited about being in full time ministry again am convinced this will be a long term ministry opportunity. This journey of seeking employment has been very significant to me, spiritually, and I am passionate about building the Kingdom and discipling those in our faith community.

Comments: Postita kommentaar

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

ThinkExist.com Quotes