Click for Tartu, Estonia Forecast

pühapäev, aprill 24, 2005

 

Downs and Ups

On the down side, now Evelyn has the same sickness that Peter has. She was really miserable last night and this morning, but we are hoping that it will run its course soon and she will be through with it.

On the up side, the meeting this afternoon went well (even though Evelyn missed it). Our regional commanders, Majors Tyrrell, had planned this gathering at the same hall where we had the opening, and intended it to be an opportunity for follow-up with the people who attended before. We didn't learn about it until just before we returned to Estonia, and so didn't have much time to prepare, particularly with jetlag and sickness slowing us down. I wasn't too optimistic about anyone showing up, but went thinking that if nothing else, we could spend some time with the Tyrrells and our translator Ermo and his wife. But people actually came!

This is mostly because Major Tyrrell stood on the street and practically forced people to come in, but we had probably 15 or 20 people. And the best part is that they were almost all Salvation Army people: several were homeless, a few others were drunks and there were a good number of pensioners. These are the people I've wanted to reach! We sang "I Serve A Risen Saviour (He Lives)" and then I shared a brief devotional. After that we had tea and cookies together. The people were eager to talk with me, and it is a good thing that Ermo speaks both Estonian and Russian. I met several people who are interested in helping with the Army's work; I spoke with two older men who are involved with pensioners' groups who said that these people need the Army's help (something I've felt in my heart for a while); and I spoke with one guy who asked me for 10 krooni (around a dollar) for alcohol (at least he was honest). I felt right at home with these folks!

I will be meeting with one of the pensioners' groups on Tuesday, and will be making follow up visits to a list of others this week. It was such an encouragement to see in this small group a composite of those I believe God wants us to serve!

After that, I went to Võru (around 75 km south of Tartu) for a meeting with the Tyrrells and a ecumenical group that has been working there doing a soup kitchen and work with seniors. The Army is opening the work there in August and may take the lead in this work. Evelyn and I will assisting with this and offering support to the new officer--Captain Ave Kalme, the first Estonian officer. They are very welcoming to the Army coming to the town, so I think it will be a great work there.

Please pray for us this week as we follow up on the contacts we made today. And please pray that we will be able to work our the details of our ministry here. I believe God has big plans for Tartu, we just want to be faithful.
--Tim

Comments: Postita kommentaar

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

ThinkExist.com Quotes