Click for Tartu, Estonia Forecast

neljapäev, juuni 23, 2005

 

I Cannot Leave the Dear Old Flag/My All Is on the Altar

I was interested to read the following in Southern Spirit, the USA South territorial newspaper:
With the exception of the last few sessions, all Southern officers may recall another tradition that has gone by the wayside: the singing of “I Cannot Leave the Dear Old Flag” while the session flag makes its entry during the Sunday morning Commissioning and Ordination Service. “I realize the flag still enters to another anthem, and it is still a very solemn moment. But to those who know the words to that song, and to hear it just before you are commissioned as a Salvation Army officer – I always thought it challenges us to be faithful in our service to God through the Army,” another major said.

1.They bid me choose an easier path,
And seek a lighter cross;
They bid me mingle with Heaven's gold
A little of earth's dross;
They bid me, but in vain, once more
The world's illusions try;
I cannot leave the dear old flag,
'Twere better far to die.

2.They say the fighting is too hard,
My strength of small avail,
When foes beset and friends are fled,
My faith must surely fail.
But, O how can I quit my post
While millions sin-bound lie?
I cannot leave the dear old flag,
'Twere better far to die.

3.They say I can a Christian be,
And serve God quite as well,
And reach Heaven just as surely by
The music of church bell;
But, O the drum and clarion call
Of band make my pulse fly!
I cannot leave the dear old flag,
'Twere better far to die.

4.I answer, life is fleeting fast,
I cannot, cannot wait;
For me my comrades beckoning stand
Beyond the pearly gate;
I hear their hallelujahs grand,
I hear their battle cry:
O do not leave the dear old flag,
'Twere better far to die!

Frederick Booth-Tucker (1853-1929)

This is the chorus I associate with this moment of commissioning:
My all is on the altar,
I'm waiting for the fire;
Waiting, waiting, waiting,
I'm waiting for the fire.

I remember playing it in band practice at the Chester Corps one time shortly before our commissioning. I got so choked up, I could barely keep playing! I could just picture the spotlight on the flag as it entered.

I wonder what USA South uses for a song now?

Speaking of fire, it is Midsummer's Eve here and we have lit a small bonfire in our backyard! The kids are waiting for me to go see it.

Evelyn

Comments: Postita kommentaar

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

ThinkExist.com Quotes