Click for Tartu, Estonia Forecast

reede, detsember 23, 2005

 

A tongue-in-cheek apology to the people of Estonia (and all others who speak the Estonian language!)

Tim can't spell.

He can't spell in English, and he can't spell in Estonian.

It's just not something he's good at!

So if you can kindly point us in the direction of an Estonian-language spell-checker software program, we would be most grateful! Short of that, your personal reminders are still most appreciated! :-)

For those of you who don't speak Estonian -- it is such a phonetic language! You say it like it's spelled; you spell it like you say it.

You'd think that would be helpful in the spelling department. But that brings up the little problem of pronouncing words correctly. And it is definitely an area we both need a lot of help in!

Evelyn
(madly in love with Tim, no matter how poorly he spells!)

Comments:
any time when you need something spelled right in Estonian you can ask me....i'll correct your mistakes also...
 
Evelyn, the question is can you spell in Estonian?! I totally understand Tim's problem and I am good at spelling in English! Thought about you yesterday and prayed that you and family had a blessed and fun Christmas Day.
 
Hm, well, yes I think I can spell pretty well in Estonian! :-) I wouldn't say that I have a photographic memory exactly, but in general, if I have seen something written out, and if I know the word (obviously, I can't spell 99% of the words in Estonian, because I don't know them!), then I can usually spell correctly.

For example, there are some letters that are similar:
õ and ö and o
ü and u
ä and a
I almost never mix these letters up in writing, because they don't sound the same, and to me they don't "look" the same any more than a d and a b or something like that!

And also, if there are two letters next to each other (as in "piparkoogid"!), the vowel is pronounced longer, so it sounds different.

Hm, long answer! Perhaps I "protest too much"! ;-)

We really did have a great Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Watch the blog for photos, coming soon I hope!

Häid Jõule!

Evelyn
 
Postita kommentaar

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

ThinkExist.com Quotes