Click for Tartu, Estonia Forecast

laupäev, märts 11, 2006

 

Cultivating the Soul

In his twenties, William Booth (founder of the Salvation Army) wrote a letter to his wife, describing his feelings of discouragement and ineffectiveness. He was close to quitting, he said.
Catherine, a remarkable woman, wrote back: "I know how possible it is to preach and pray and sing, and even shout, while the heart is not right with God. I know how popularity and prosperity have a tendency to elate and exalt self, if the heart is not humble before God. I know how Satan takes advantage of these things to work out the destruction (if possible) of one whom the Lord uses to pull down strongholds of his kingdom, and all these considerations make me tremble, and weep, and pray for you, my dearest love, that you may be able to overcome all his devices, and having done all to stand, not in your own strength but in humble dependence on Him who worketh 'all in all.'"
As far as I can tell, Catherine was 23 when she wrote these words. But she was not too young to "get it." William's spiritual core, she understood, was the key to everything.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/le/2005/003/25.50.html

Comments:
You guys know that you are being prayed for, by our family and others. God has given you more strength than you can imagine. Being hurt and disspointed by those we are ministering to, I think, is one of the hardest things to deal with.

Wsn't Catherine incredible. My reguarly wife gives me a "spiritual shot in the arm" when i am feeling discouraged about our ministry...or lack of it sometimes.

In His Grip for Blood and Fire,
Dave
 
Postita kommentaar

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

ThinkExist.com Quotes